Chief Ian Campbell has announced he is withdrawing from the Vancouver mayoral race. No reason is forthcoming. The decision is supported by Vision Vancouver officials.
Let the idle and ill-informed speculation about reasons begin:
- A personal issue arising suddenly in his life
- Pessimism as to his chances of winning as the “developer” label continues to attract growing negative vibes, and Sylvester looks strong
- Reevaluation of the position of Mayor if it means wrangling a cats n’ dogs council, possibly divisive and ineffective
- Shauna Sylvester and maybe Kennedy Stewart — now facing one less split of votes on the centre-left.
- Vision Vancouver — no mayor possible
- Vision Vancouver candidates — now leaderless, no Vision mayoral candidate to headline slate
- Other mayoral candidates (see above), look for one or more dropouts on the right
- The indigenous community — losing a potentially high-profile figure